Tuesday, August 14, 2018

History of the Camera Club

  The 1954-1955 yearbook notes:  “The Camera Club is Jesuit’s newest organization.  The club was founded by Anthony Daboub, the Roundup’s staff photographer.  The purpose of the new club is to make available a multitude of pictures so that the Roundup might portray the varied activities at Jesuit more graphically.”  The club learns photography fundamentals “in films, lectures, and the...

History of the Radio Club

The 1942 Mothers’ Club scrapbook includes a school newspaper article about the beginnings of the Radio Club which states, “The initial lecture of a series of experiments and lectures designed to equip seniors and all members of the student body who have reached their eighteenth birthday with the fundamentals of radio and other standard army communications was given ....

History of Film Society

    According to the 1975 Jesuit Today, “Fr. Kitten initiated Jesuit’s film program in the spring semester of 1971 with a class of six students.” In the Second Annual Dallas/Ft. Worth Information Film Producers Association Student Film Competition, “Steve Cook, was presented the ‘Sandy’ award for the best edited film. . . . was the only high school entry...

History of WJHS TV Station

WJHS-TV, a closed circuit system, began in 1963 with the opening of the Inwood Rd. campus. A Prospectus for the senior English TV course explains the expectations for classroom appearance, discussion protocol, assignments, and more. In September 1964 Fr. Robert Tynan, S.J. corresponded with Fairchild Camera and Instrument Corp. concerning problems with the system. He wrote that the system had...

History of The Roundup and The Last Roundup 1940s

  The October 8, 1966, The Texas Catholic editorializes that “the first edition of The Roundup issued Nov. 24, 1942, can hardly be called ‘memorable.’ Devoted mainly to gossip and descriptions of various newly formed organizations, the whole affair would be considered a monstrous failure if published today by the present staff. But for the first attempt it was extremely well...

History of The Roundup and The Last Roundup 1950s

  In October 1949 the paper reported that it had been accepted into the Catholic School Press Association “with a rating of First Honors, the second highest classification for High School newspapers.  The rating was based on all of last year’s monthly publications, and a separate award, Second Honors, was given to The Last Roundup.” In March 1950 The Roundup sponsored...

The History of Bowling

    The 1954 Last Roundup summarizes the beginning of the bowling club: “Bowling was a new activity at Jesuit this year. It was developed through the efforts of the Lettermen’s Club and the cooperation of Mr. D. F. Luckie, the manager of the Texas Bowling Center . January 19th and 20th marked the start of league play with more than...

History of the Dress Code

The dress code was addressed for the first time in the 1945-1946 Prospectus (the precursor to the student handbook): The attire had to be clean and neat at all times. Students were not allowed to wear polo shirts, T-shirts, coveralls, or blue jeans. “It is highly desirable that Jesuit High students wear a tie.” In the 1955-1956 Prospectus, the students were...

The School Seal

In February of 1943 three students created the school seal. The seal consists of four parts: 1. William Underhill drew a crown of thorns to represent endurance and the letter J to represent the Jesuit fathers 2. Robert Mullen designed the Lone Star surrounded by a laurel wreath to represent Texas and its honor and dignity 3. David O’Brien drew a cowboy...