Friday, December 6, 2019

The Bishop Lynch Award

The November 1943 Roundup explains that in the later part of the school’s first year, Bishop Lynch awarded a trophy at graduation to an outstanding student. In Fall 1943 he endowed this award to ensure it became “an annual event.” At that time a student from any grade level could receive this award. The Roundup states that “Every student is...

History of WJHS TV Station

WJHS-TV, a closed circuit system, began in 1963 with the opening of the Inwood Rd. campus. A Prospectus for the senior English TV course explains the expectations for classroom appearance, discussion protocol, assignments, and more. In September 1964 Fr. Robert Tynan, S.J. corresponded with Fairchild Camera and Instrument Corp. concerning problems with the system. He wrote that the system had...

Debate in the 50s

Please note that the early history of the Philothespic Society, Debate and Elocution were entwined. You may wish to visit the history of the Philothespic Society to grasp the full picture of this busy and important activity. 1950s The December 14, 1949, debate topic was Resolved: That the President of the United States Should Be Elected by the Direct Vote of...

The School Seal

In February of 1943 three students created the school seal. The seal consists of four parts: 1. William Underhill drew a crown of thorns to represent endurance and the letter J to represent the Jesuit fathers 2. Robert Mullen designed the Lone Star surrounded by a laurel wreath to represent Texas and its honor and dignity 3. David O’Brien drew a cowboy...

Fencing

Fencing at Jesuit has had a long but bumpy ride. In 1956 Jesuit’s “true artists of the foil banded together under the guidance of Mr. Benjamin Wren, S. J., to form the first Jesuit Fencing Club.  Since that time, members have met regularly in the basement for a bit of running about and sword clashing” (The Last Roundup...

History of the Camera Club

  The 1954-1955 yearbook notes:  “The Camera Club is Jesuit’s newest organization.  The club was founded by Anthony Daboub, the Roundup’s staff photographer.  The purpose of the new club is to make available a multitude of pictures so that the Roundup might portray the varied activities at Jesuit more graphically.”  The club learns photography fundamentals “in films, lectures, and the...

The Student Patrol

The November 1961 Roundup reported that Fr. S.J. Rivoire, S. J. had formed the Student Patrol to perform the duties of the disbanded Safety Club and more. Students from all four years may apply, but “certain qualifications are expected of the members.” In essence the Patrol will monitor the school. The Safety Club had directed student traffic, as will...

History of the Dress Code

The dress code was addressed for the first time in the 1945-1946 Prospectus (the precursor to the student handbook): The attire had to be clean and neat at all times. Students were not allowed to wear polo shirts, T-shirts, coveralls, or blue jeans. “It is highly desirable that Jesuit High students wear a tie.” In the 1955-1956 Prospectus, the students were...

Dances in the 40s and 50s

Jesuit's first dance and the "first social of the season" was held on October 8, 1943.  Jesuit hosted the girls from Merici, St. Joseph's Home for Girls, St. Edward's and Our Lady of Good Counsel. The Nov. 1943 Roundup notes that Jimmy Scanlon and Jack Burney performed a magic show.  In addition, " A jitterbug contest was held ....