Wednesday, October 17, 2018
Anecdotes

Timeline: Anecdotes

  • June 6, 1938 Anecdotes

    Jesuits Coming to Dallas

    Fr. Thomas McGrath, S.J. confers with Fr. Thomas J. Shields, S.J. – first documented mention of the possibility of Jesuits coming to Dallas; idea received well by Bishop Lynch.

  • April 9, 1940 Anecdotes

    Fr. Shields, S.J. meets Bishop Lynch

    Fr. Shields, S.J. (New Orleans Provincial) meets Bishop Lynch in San Antonio at consecration of Bishop Metzger – Bishop Lynch: “I want to see you sometime to talk about something good for you and me.”

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • October 23, 1940 Anecdotes

    Possible Jesuit school in Dallas

    In El Paso at consecration of Christo Rei monument, Bishop Lynch and Fr. Shields meet to discuss possibility of Jesuit school in Dallas

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • February 19, 1941 Anecdotes

    Finding a Site

    Thomas Shields, S.J. and Edward Rooney, S.J. of Jes Educ Assoc. visit Bishop Lynch in Dallas. Msgr. Nold tours city with them to find appropriate site for new school.

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • June 29, 1941 Anecdotes

    Permission Granted

    A cablegram from Fr. General granting permission for a Jesuit school. A formal letter of approval received on July 30.

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • August 1, 1941 Anecdotes Photos

    Jesuit Archives

    1941 Letter to Rome

    Permission of the Holy See

    Cardinal La Pluma, prefect of Sacred Congregation of Religious, signs formal permission of the Holy see for Jesuits to open canonically a society house in Dallas.

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • September 1, 1941 Anecdotes

    3812 Oak Lawn at Blackburn

    Bishop Lynch and his lawyer, Mr. George Burgess, arrange legal details with Fr. Shields and Mr. Charles I. Denechaud, Province Lawyer, for transfer of Oak Lawn-Blackburn property to the Society of Jesus.

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • December 16, 1941 Anecdotes

    Property Legally Transferred

    The property formerly known as the Dallas University, conducted by the Vincentian Fathers, and in later years as St. Joseph’s Home for Girls (an orphanage for girls) legally transferred from the Diocese of Dallas to the Jesuit High School of Dallas Inc.

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • December 21, 1941 Anecdotes

    The Dallas Morning News

    New Jesuit Dallas Administraton Announced

    The Jesuits Move In

    Fr. Austin L. Wagner, S.J., first Jesuit to take possession of new property and charged with preparing the place for a new school and Jesuit residence and promoting knowledge that the Jesuits were coming to Dallas; arrived at what became the Jesuit High School of Dallas (Oaklawn & Blackburn).

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • January 1942 - August 1942 Anecdotes

    Building Renovations

    Building renovated; whole sections virtually rebuilt; endowment fund drive promoted.

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • January 7, 1942 Anecdotes

    More Jesuits Arrive

    Fr. RT Bryant, S.J., and Bro Martial Lapeyre, S.J. arrive; Fr. Bryant donates new Buick which had been given to him.

  • September 14, 1942 Anecdotes

    Opening Day

    Approx. 195 students registered: Freshmen, 4; Sophomores, 2; Juniors, 2; Seniors, 4; 168 on full tuition, 17 free, 9 partial tuition. Tuition: $50.00 plus $10.00 activity fee; for students who desire military training, Jesuit will sponsor a private junior air training corps

    Principal's Diary

  • September 25, 1942 Anecdotes

    Student Assembly

    Assembly of all students in 2nd period to explain the proposed military training set up under the auspices of the Air Training Corps of America

    Principal's Diary

  • November 14, 1942 Anecdotes

    Accreditation

    Letter arrives with accreditation by the State Department of Education (Note: The Roundup 5/26/43 notes accreditation on 11/2/43)

    Principal's Diary

  • December 1, 1942 Anecdotes

    SACSS Membership

    Membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • April 2, 1943 Anecdotes

    Army-Navy Qualifying Test

    Under government sponsorship the school, in conjunction with about 28,000 other school centers throughout the country, administers the Army-Navy qualifying test for students interested in the Army-Navy college training programs. Fourteen seniors took the test which was supervised by Fr. Mulhern and Mr. Kammer.

  • April 9, 1943 Anecdotes

    General’s Assistant Visits

    Rev. Zachaeus Maher, S.J., asst. to the general of the Jesuits, visits Jesuit as part of an informal tour of Jesuit high schools and universities

  • May 1943 Anecdotes

    School Flag Donated

    A school flag - blue background with school seal in gold and white in the center - was donated by Mr. and Mrs. John N. Desco

    The Roundup 5/26/43

  • September 13, 1943 Anecdotes

    Second Academic Year Begins

    Registration: 185 students, a decrease from last year’s opening number, but an increase over the closing number of last year which was approximately 165.

    Principal's Diary

  • May 1944 Anecdotes

    Yearbook Pictures

    For the first time individual, yearbook style pictures of graduates and Most Valuable Athletes are printed

    The Roundup 5/44

  • June 2, 1944 Anecdotes

    Second Graduation

    The graduating class of 18 remains the smallest in Jesuit history. 16 boys appear in the graduation picture. Patrick Koch, Valedictorian; John Buettner, Salutatorian;

    Mother's Club Scrapbook 44-45

  • June 2, 1945 Anecdotes

    Jesuit Dallas Archives

    Letter From the New Principal Fr. Druhan

    New President/Principal

    Fr. David Ross Druhan, S.J. replaces Fr. Joseph Mulhern, S.J. as President/Principal; Edward Curry, S.J. serves as defacto Principal

    The Roundup 11/45

  • September 10, 1945 Anecdotes

    Letter to Parents on Student Requirements

    Letter from Fr. Druhan, Principal to parents: Each student is required to have an assignment book, that is, a notebook in which he lists the lessons for study and the formal written work that he is required to do. We are asking the parents to sign both this notebook and the written homework of their boys every day.

  • February 26, 1946 Anecdotes

    School Landscaping

    Bishop Lynch writes the Mother's Club to compliment them on landscaping the school. “In this very meritorious undertaking you are doing a great deal to attract attention to this wonderful institution, to make our Catholic people proud of it and entice others to esteem it as an outstanding attractive spot in this fair city.”

    Mother's Club Scrapbook 44-45

  • May 1946 Anecdotes

    Yearbook Photos

    Yearbook has photos of graduating seniors, most valuable athletes, most popular senior [Note: Charlie Avery is not included because he needed an extra half year to graduate. A separate article covers him in The Roundup May 1947]

  • May 31, 1946 Anecdotes

    First Graduation of Four Year Students

    Commencement was held in the high school auditorium. This was the first class to complete 4 years at Jesuit. The Bishop Lynch trophy was awarded to Joseph Leverette.

    The Roundup 5/46

  • May 1947 Anecdotes

    Commencement Issue

    The Roundup 1947 Commencement issue includes yearbook style photos of grads, most popular; description of letter jackets and sweaters for both ’45 and ’46; Bishop Lynch Trophy with article to Ernest Earl Phillips; article by Fr. Druhan on highlights of the ’46-’47 year

    The Roundup Commencement Issue ‘47